I am sure IT professionals working with Microsoft Technologies would need no introduction to SharePoint. However, for the ease of our non-technical readers let us first introduce the concept of SharePoint.
SharePoint is a Microsoft product which was first introduced in the year 2001 as a web based application with the primary functionality of document management and storage system. The most striking feature of Microsoft SharePoint is it’s highly configurable nature that can be molded to suit the diverse business requirements of organizations.
Since the year 2001 when Microsoft first introduced Share Point as a business application tool there have been a number of successive versions released by Microsoft the latest being Share Point 2016.
Traditionally Share Point has been bundled with Microsoft Office 365(however it could also be purchased as a standalone product), with the latest version Share Point 2016, Microsoft has made conscious effort to restrict the functionality to be more of a “Document Management tool” and has migrated other “Collaborative features”, “Enterprise Search”, “Social Media” to Office 365 offering through applications such as Office Graph, Delve, and Yammer.
Although Microsoft has made efforts in making Share Point a cloud-based offering, it is fully aware of the compliance and data privacy needs of the enterprises at large and hence has regularly worked on providing an “On Premises” version of Share Point as well.
Some of the most common uses of Share Point have been: –
- Enterprise Content and Document Management which allows the organizations to store, retrieve, archive, track, manage and report on it’s electronic documents and records.
- Share Point intranet is a tool through which the organizations can manage their internal communications and information in a more centralized manner.
- Share Point is used by the enterprises as a Collaborative software for their business requirements such as Project Scheduling, Project related document storage, social collaboration etc.
- Custom built applications is a feature of SharePoint which empowers the developers with integration into corporate directories ensuring security and data privacy.
So what’s new that Microsoft has introduced in it’s latest version of Share Point 2016?
- App Launcher: – Share Point 2016 introduces App launcher with a better and enhanced UI which matched the User Experience of Office 365.
- There has been a significant improvement in the speed and performance of this latest version of Share Point 2016.
- Enhance security measures through MinRoles, wherein Administrators can install and govern the roles they want to install on Share Point servers.
- There is a near doubling of the maximum size of the files that can be uploaded to the servers. Previously it used to be a maximum of 2 GB, which has now been almost doubled to 10 GB.
- With the upgrading of hybrid options, there has been better integration with Office 365 tools such as Office Graph, Delve, Sway, Yammer etc.
Bitscape Infotech is a global IT solutions company which specializes in delivering business solutions based on Microsoft Technologies.
Bitscape has been a Microsoft GOLD partner since the year 2004 which is a testimony that we understand Microsoft technologies and it’s usability in business applications better than most in the industry.
Certainly, Microsoft Share Point 2016 is one of our core offerings and we have a dedicated team of extremely well skilled Share Point professionals who have successfully delivered Share Point solutions to our esteemed set of clients.
Bitscape has helped enterprises of small, medium and large scale in leveraging the power of Share Point technology and efficiently manage a host of their functionalities such as Document management, Web Content management, Records management, workforce management etc, and hence transform them into scalable enterprises.